Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

How does He do it- think on these things...

It's that time of year again....

School time.

As a teacher, I work non-stop until June 11th (or so) and when that time comes, I remove my watch, read an actual book, hang out with and teach my own child, and actually go to the bathroom when I want. All of these things are about to stop. And I don't care who you are or how much you love teaching, when those K-Mart and Old Navy ads for "back to school" layaway start, you cringe! I have literally walked through WalMart with my hand over my eyes so that I don't have to see the "Dollar Deals" they have on notebooks, post-its, pencils, and highlighters.

No teacher really LOVES and counts down until they can spend every minute worrying about that kid that doesn't talk or when they can review all their IEP's...no teacher likes that. Even last week, I started getting headaches, just thinking about all the stuff I need to do.

If you know me, you know that I am not a very "laid back" person. I admit it. I'm a narotic, OCD, crazy, hyperactive worrier. I am a teacher that takes it home. I know I shouldn't but I don't do a job for the money...obviously, I'm a teacher. I genuinely want to help all students grow into the people they should be to make it through this crazy world. I want to teach them things. I want to help them in their lives. I want them to know that I'm there for them. And unfortunately, I don't know how to do that and not think about all of my students when I leave. I care about my "kids" and that doesn't stop at 2:45pm. As much as I wish I could do that. I worry...

Today, in church, we had a different pastor. Well he's not different but he doesn't always do the services so he's new to me. Dan is the starter of Gateway and is not one to tip toe around feelings. He is more than happy to tell you exactly what the Word says and what we need to be doing, himself included. Today was no different.

Dan read Philippians 4:1-8... I particularly love this passage because it really speaks to me.

Closing Appeal for Steadfastness and Unity
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!
I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Final Exhortations
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Two things hit me with that:
1. 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. I worry. I've said that many times before. I tend to get very worried and think about things that never end up happening. Dan read a study that had been done by a psychiatrist about people and how they worry. In this study he found out that 40% of the things we worry about never end up happening. 20% of the things we worry about are in the past. Only about 8% of the things we worry about are worth it. 8%!!! Can you imagine how liberating it would be to be able to weed through the things we worry about and know which ones are worth it? But through this, through God, we don't have to worry. (Also see 1 Peter 5:7 or Mathew 6:34)

2. 4:8: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. I know this verse from way back but it has taken on different meanings now. As some teachers get more and more years, we can become cynical, mean, and negative. I was warned about this by my student teaching co-op and didn't know that it could be this bad. It's easy to fall into that trap of being negative too. It happens very easily. You look up to older teachers for encouragement and find negativity as well. Last year was a very negative year for me and I really didn't like where I was or how I was with the students. This passage speaks to me because we become what we think and say. If what I'm thinking or saying only negativity, what can I expect to happen? This will be my guide to positivity. 

So here's to a good year...think on these things.

1 comment: