Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Marriage Maintenance...

Noah and I met in college. We were both technology education majors and had a few classes together at the make-shift building we were in while Millersville renovated Osburn Hall. I really wasn't a huge fan of Noah because I had heard "threw the grapevine" that he said "girls shouldn't be in tech ed". Needless to say, it wasn't exactly love at first sight.


However, in some fashion that only Noah understands, he won me over through his sense of humor and need to be center of attention. We dated for almost 2 years before getting engaged on December 1st, 2006. It was an amazing proposal on the beach...in December. :-) We were quite chilly.


Nineteen months later, we married on June 21st, 2008. It seems like forever ago and yet so vivid in my memory. There are only a few days that are like that in my life...my wedding day is one of them. I will never forget the smallest details of that day. It was fabulous.


Not long after, we knew that we wanted to add to our family. We made a very exciting decision...and got our sweet little Macintosh. In May of 2009, Mac joined our family. I know some people have children and the dog goes by the wayside. I cannot say that we have been that couple. We love Mac...he was our baby before babies.


And not long after that, we wanted to have a baby of our own. Ayden was born on November 22, 2011 and he is perfect. I couldn't be more in love. Moms...you get that.


With all these things happening in our life, we needed to know how to make time for us. Not just as a family and starting our own new traditions, but we need to remember what it was like to just be the two of us. My father in law is always telling us to have "marriage maintenance", meaning taking time, away from kids, home, work, pets, family, and just have time with the two of us.

Some people don't necessarily agree that we should be "leaving our child" to have weekends alone. And although, we haven't done any overnighters without Ayden, I don't see how this could be a bad thing? Ayden wouldn't be here if we didn't have alone time. I think it's important for people (usually moms) to realize that your husband should be higher on your list than your children.

I'm sure I made a lot of people mad by saying that, so I want to clarify. I adore my child. Ayden makes my heart happy, sad, anxious, elated, and every other emotion you can think of. I worry that I won't be able to teach him all the things he'll need to know. I fear for his safety on a regular basis to make sure that this nation will be stable for his future. I am nervous that by me telling him "no, you can't put your toys in Mac's water dish" that it will stunt his creativity and enthusiasm. Crazy things, I know but it's still something that all moms think.

All that being said, I love my husband for giving me this beautiful child. I couldn't have created this child with any other human. Ayden is only Noah and me- no one else. I can't imagine my life without my wonderful husband. Couples need to take the time to remember who they fell in love with, who they are building a life with, and who they really and truly love. We are the cornerstones of our home and I want my son to grow up knowing what a great marriage looks like so that he will someday strive to have the same. Not to mention, that someday those little ones will be big. They will be leaving home and you'll be there...with the only other person that was there in the beginning. Get to know them well.

So I encourage you to take the time to be with your spouse or significant other. That person is to be your partner...make them the most important part of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment