Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Simplify your Life Day 1- my closet

Noah and I share the master walk in closet in this house. One would think that the wife would have the "larger" side due to having more clothes but this isn't the case. I've never been one for a lot of fashion (until recently) so when we moved in, I was more than happy to give up the "big" side to my loving husband.

Over the last 5 years, I have accumulated more clothes. Weeding out college clothes when we first moved in, and then finding appropriate, yet fashionable work clothes, and then maternity clothes, and then the post baby clothes...there has been a lot in and out of that closet. And don't get me started on shoes.

So in my efforts to simplify my life, I decided that today would be a great day to get rid of any clothes I don't wear, don't fit, don't like, or just plain don't look my best in. I also was able to add my adorable Christmas clothes into this and "redo" my wardrobe a bit.
In color order left to right by category: long dresses, short dresses by sleeve, skirts, pants, shirts by sleeve, sweaters, blazers, jackets. The bins up top are great for any sweaters and sweatshirts that shouldn't hang because of weight.

This purging process would seem easy right? I mean think about it. If it doesn't fit, get rid of it. If you don't wear it, get rid of it. If you don't like it anymore, get rid of it. Easy right? Yeah...

Even the shoes are organized!
I have to say, parting with clothes that I've had since college (sorority letters or college sweatshirts) wasn't the easiest thing to do. Not to mention I had at least 2 dresses in there from HIGH SCHOOL! And yes, I still fit them and still like them. However, I never wear them. One is a white fitted dress that I wore at my high school graduation. Thinking it wouldn't fit, I tried it on and it fit beautifully. However, it's a plain white dress. Where will I wear that and in all honesty, aside from a sorority function, I haven't worn it since high school graduation. Time for it to go!

And then there was my favorite black strapless dress that I have worn in some difficult times, as well as in some happy times. I have had a lot of memories in that simple "just above the knee" strapless dress bought in high school. Unfortunately, that simply black dress no longer fits my shape post baby. I know it sounds ridiculous but I had to really talk myself through putting that dress in the pile. I had to remind myself that although that dress was worn on so many memorable occasions, it wasn't the dress that made those times into a memory.

Space your hangers evenly on the bar to make it look more like a store.
So as the time went on, I went through the dresses, shirts, sweaters, pants, skirts, and sweatshirts and I can honestly say now, I've made my closet into a shopping center for my mornings. I no longer have to stand and search for clothes to wear or what matches. Everything is arranged in a distinct order and I will easily be able to lay out my clothes the night before.





 
Although it wasn't easy saying "goodbye" to so many clothes, I know that I'm doing the right thing to reach my goal.

 Day 1 mission: completed! 

Donate gently used clothing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment