Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New Habit Day (t-26)

Like my father, I never understood why people made New Years Resolutions only on January 1st; especially because most don't end up sticking with it. I'm not sure I've ever stuck with it. Most resolutions are abandoned by February! That's crazy.

So today was my "start a new habit" day. If you notice, it's not a "give something up" day or "resolution" day, it's more something I'd like to put in my regular schedule. They say if you practice something for 30 days, it becomes routine. So here's to my new habit.

I honestly didn't know where to start when making a new habit. I only had one in mind but was unsure that I'd stick to it. This habit needed to be something I would stick to and yet something that isn't already in my schedule. I even asked for suggestions on Facebook and you gave me wonderful ideas.

My original idea was more of a challenge that one would think. I would like to read for at least 15 minutes a day. It can be anything that doesn't relate to work or school, but I'd need to spend 15 minutes a day reading that book/article/chapter or whatever. It may seem silly because who doesn't read?! Me. I don't. I am a terrible reader and have hated it for a very long time. I have a difficult time focusing on a book and if it doesn't suck me in, I'm done. So this will be a challenge for me. I will start that today. I will also need suggestions of books to read. Again, it must be awesome because I really don't like to read.

The other idea comes courtesy of Kirsten. In my suggestions request on Facebook, she suggested a "pay it forward" habit. That is such a great idea. Instead of going through my day focused on me me me, I will start doing things for others. I'm sure I already do some of these things. I'm not one to slam a door in someone's face or not wave when someone lets me in on the road. However, I will make a more conscious effort to pay it forward- maybe more on a spontaneous level instead of something so planned. Thank you Kirsten for such a wonderful idea.

So that's the plan. I'm asking you to keep me in check. If you want to know what I'm reading or what I did today to brighten someone's day, please ask. That will make me accountable. Wish me luck. I'm very excited about these new habits.

Up tomorrow: Bury the Hatchet Day...time to swallow that pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment