Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Technologically inadequate...

Today I had to run some errands. I needed to pick up some face wash, parchment paper, and a few other things so Wal-Mart was the store for me. After picking up my items, I went to the check out area...the self check out.

Now, I'm a fairly technologically literate person. I have electronics and use them on a regular basis. I have an understanding of how computers work and how to use technology for what I need. I'm writing this via a blog on gmail and I understand how to use this media. Between an iPhone, iPad, Mac Book Pro, and all of the other electronic devices I have learned how to use them for what I need to do. I teach "technological advancements" for goodness sake!

However, technologically literate or illiterate I feel, I was stumped by this self check out. I scanned a bunch of things and it told me to put the items in the bag. I did. "Please place the item in the bag" I DID! "Item not placed in bag." I did that!!! "Please remove item from bag until scanned." ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! After some frustration, the cashier came to help. Then, I realized an item I scanned was more expensive than what I wanted to pay so I had to remove that. Yeah...right! She came back over and helped. Sigh! Time to pay.

"Insert cash or select payment method." What?! Where do I put the money? There are 30 different slots on that thing! Finally figured it out.


As I was leaving, I thanked the cashier for helping but couldn't help but think of people that aren't used to technology. I mean, even most technology was new to me when growing up and the current generation can maneuver almost any device, but what about people that don't? It must feel very frustrating and embarrassing. I know how I felt and that was just a self checkout at Wal-Mart.

Are there classes or sessions that people could attend to be a bit more informed in technological advancements? Maybe then, creeps wouldn't want to take advantage of such nice, innocent people.

Just a thought...

1 comment: